Thursday, March 29, 2012

Lithium Ion battery density - just how far along is the technology?

A while ago I was a bit baffled by a barrage of media releases pertaining to one of the developers of Lithium-ion battery materials touting its breakthrough in the energy density.
While I applaud  Envia Systems for reaching a very significant milestone, I also got thinking about the practicality of the new cell technology due to lack of other supporting data. I love the 400Wh/kg energy density, but in this particular case the claim that got me going was related to a long cycle life and unknown thermal charge / discharge performance. The data posted on the company web site indicates the new technology barely reaches the cycle life of a lead acid battery (not so great). This means to me that more work is to be done in the lab and more so getting it into a production.
I would like more context here: Just how far is the product from a commercial readiness standpoint? I had no response from the company to my inquiry.
I'm hopeful that Envia will soon elaborate as to when the technology will be ready to ship and how good it really is. I'm hopeful, so perhaps will see this technology in one of the future releases of Chevy Volt...

No comments:

Post a Comment